Skip to main content

Wishing you a Bigger, Better New Year

This is a tricky time of year in fitness.


It's kind of the best time, because suddenly everyone is very interested in what "fitness people" like me are up to.

Many people are making a new start, figuring out what they need to do to be healthier in the coming year.

Also Aldi and Lidl have what I like to call "Personal Trainer Christmas" where they suddenly have a tonne of low priced fitness equipment on the shelves. That's my favourite (do I really need another foam roller? Sure I do!).


But it all comes from a very harsh place.

For the last couple of months we have been bombarded with advertising telling us we need to buy and eat more rich food. Conform to the cultural norm of well, conforming to the sofa and none of it in moderation.

Now, the tables turn. What? You actually DID the eating and the movie-watching and you ACTUALLY overindulged? But now your body is unacceptable!

Of course all year around we are subjected to the message that our bodies are wrong. We should be smaller, and taller (but not too tall if you are a woman), and willowy and hairless and if we aren't then we need to feel bad about that and fix it before anyone sees. In the New Year, that suddenly intensifies.

So while I love to see a spotlight on fitness, moving more, eating better etc, it makes me sad to see that for the most part, this comes from a place of shame, not support.


So lets do this thing differently


I'm done with being smaller. I'm done with deprivation. I'm done with punishing myself for eating, or working out so that I "deserve" to eat.

I'm calling BS on the lot of it.

Because I refuse to engage in the frankly abusive narrative of diet culture. And no, I don't use that term lightly, what would we call a person who persistently....

  • Told us we weren't good enough
  • Told us we didn't deserve to eat what we choose
  • Told us we didn't get to wear what we choose
  • Insisted we did things we hated 
  • Called our bodies by derisive names
  • Isolated us from our friends and family

There's a rising movement in fitness lately, about focusing on being MORE. Taking up more space, being better without being lesser. But most of all, being compassionate with ourselves.

And this is how I work when goal-setting with my coaching clients. It goes like this.

Instead of eating "less carbs", we aim to eat "more colourful vegetables".
Instead of "losing fat", we aim to add in 30 minutes walking a day.
Instead of reducing the number on the scale, we try to increase the number on the barbell.

Now is the best time


This year Meg Gallagher was appointed the Bodybuilding.com spokesmodel of the year. For the first time, this title was given to a woman who is not figure-competitor lean, but who trains for strength (she's a powerlifter, and she took this title during a bulking phase).

Meg is one of the voices right now telling us to "Be more, not less", Here's what she had to say about it...


Girls Gone Strong continue to promote the idea that women should be able to choose fitness goals that are not based on aesthetics - check out this recent piece on fat loss... and lets rewatch this clip from Erin...



Set yourself some positive resolutions


Last week I wrote about setting resolutions you can stick out. Now lets make them great resolutions. Lets make them process orientated, not goal orientated. Let's make them about us, not what other people might think about us. And let's make them about being more, bigger and better.


Some ideas for your resolutions - I might have stolen some of these from my last year's shenanigans...


Try out a new fun fitness class and stick with it for at least 6 weeks. Try another if that isn't your best fit.

Try mindfulness meditation every day for a couple of weeks (try the Headspace 10 day trial)

Find a new vegetable and a way to eat it that I actually enjoy.

Make myself a tasty packed lunch for every work day.

Explore more of my area by taking a different walk route every weekend.

Strength train 3 days a week.


Make new friends who share my positive goals and outlook

Try a new, healthy recipe once a week.

Try a strongman class. Seriously, it's hilarious fun.

Go to bed on time every night.

What are you going to try?


Still stuck for answers, or just want a little boost?


I'm offering a 7 day reset for completely FREE at the moment! Amazing!

You get a daily email, each one packed with resources and information to help you get your health on track. Simple, easy to follow tips, videos, infographics. It's awesome.

Sign up here.




If you want to make a strong commitment to improving your health, learning how to eat well and understanding your body - I still have some space for lovely coaching clients on Lotus Bloom.

I help awesome people like you break out of the shame orientated diet-rebound culture and get in tune with what their bodies need to be genuinely healthy, and lean, for life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Managing Fibromyalgia flares

I've written before about living with EDS and Fibromyalgia ,  much of my personal fitness and health practices are geared around managing those conditions and keeping me as well as I can be. When managing a chronic health condition, particularly one that involves fatigue and potential flare ups, pacing, good nutrition, good sleep and generally taking care of yourself is always the first priority. Ideally we want to have as few flares as possible. But sometimes they still happen, and when they do, it's good to have a strategy in place. And I'm going to be talking in fairly general terms, because while EDS and Fibro are my personal experience, there is so little understanding of the mechanisms behind these conditions, that most strategies are going to be applicable to a number of conditions where crashes of exhaustion and pain are a feature. So what is a flare? A flare is a period where someone with chronic illness suffers increased symptoms for a short while. The

My top apps for supporting a healthy lifestyle.

The hardest part of making healthy choices and lifestyle changes is making it a habit. It's easy to make a decision to "eat better", "exercise more" or whatever your current plan is. It's a lot harder to stick to it on the rough days, for long enough that it becomes a habit and part of your life that you can't imagine being without. I love a bit of tech. I am a super geeky science nerd and finding ways to use technology to support my health and fitness makes me very happy. So with this in mind I thought I'd give a quick run down of my favourite smartphone apps for developing and maintaining healthy habits. Habitica I'm starting with this one because it's mad and I love it. Habitica is basically a to-do list app, but it's specially for the gamers among us. If you are familiar with Dungeons and Dragons, and all the games that grew out of that system and fantasy world, you will recognise Habitica. The app allows you to create 3 t

Is being polite sabotaging your weight loss?

I've been thinking a lot lately about the barriers that make it hard for people to stick to healthy habits, or even take them up in the first place. My personal training clients are a lovely bunch, and one thing I can certainly say is that none of them have come to me completely uninformed about healthy eating. Most people have done some homework before they get to the point of hiring me, and while I always go over the basics (never assume anything) I know that when I tell them stuff like this, it's not new information to them: Eat less to lose weight Eat protein with every meal Eat 5 portions of fruit and veg a day Consume high sugar and fat treats rarely and in moderate portions Drink water with every meal or snack Exercise regularly That's not rocket science, so why are so many people still struggling with it? Is it because "the rules" are more complicated? Are they missing the "weird trick" (spoiler alert, there are no weird tricks

Step away from the scale. Why weigh ins and weight loss don't match.

I have a persistant bugbear when it comes to health coaching, and it's this issue of "weight". People are often talking about "losing weight", the number on the scale becomes a focus. "If only I could just get under 65kg" they say. Or worse I see advertised "buy this supplement and you can lose 20kg in a fortnight". I've found myself frequently sitting with a weight-focussed client and asking "if you were 2 dress sizes smaller, fit and toned, but you weighed the same as you do now, could you be happy with that?" You might be surprised how challenging a question that can be. For many people, particularly those who have struggled with weight loss, that number is the absolute key. They can wake up, feeling energised and full of life, slip into those jeans that used to live hopefully in the bottom of the drawer, check themselves in the mirror and love what they see... then they step on the scales, see the number is half a kilo

What's the deal with yoga and hypermobility?

I wanted to address a question today that keeps coming up on various hypermobility and EDS forums that I frequent. It comes up so often in fact that I feel like I have to write this all up in one place, to save me 1000s of key strokes of individual responses and distil some of my opinions and thought processes on the matter. It always goes like this. Someone asks a question like "I've just been diagnosed with hypermobility, I've been told I can't do yoga anymore..." The responses are always a mixture of "yes, my doctor/physio told me yoga was the worst thing I could do for my hypermobility" and "I do yoga and it's been the best thing for my hypermobility". So what gives? Well, I'm firmly in the "yoga is useful" camp, and I have to disclose that. I'm a yoga practitioner of around 20 years and a perinatal yoga teacher , as well as a personal trainer and bendy person. While I have the deepest respect for the medic