Skip to main content

We need to talk about talking about our bodies.

Up until a couple of years ago, I always had "saddlebags". For those not in the know, this delightful term doesn't indicate that I was some kind of human pack mule (that's parenthood) but that due to hormones and genetics and all that guff, I stored fat on a certain point on the outside of my thighs.

I'm going to call it trochantic adipose tissue. I'm not sure if anyone else does, but what's the point of an Anatomy degree if I can't use fancy anatomy words to make up names for body parts by describing them?

I always had this, at a size 10 or a size 16, it was just how my body was. But I knew I wasn't supposed to have it, because that's a bit that is consipiciously absent from most images of women in the media. And also it has a colloquial name. Not a particularly offensive one, but not a flattering one either. Not a term that one would associate with beautiful women with amazing bodies.

Anyhow. They are gone now. I'm a chunky size UK12 but my thigh is smaller than when I was a UK10, those particular areas of fat storage have gone. This happened when I was losing weight through a combination of good nutrition and strength training. Previously dieting had never touched them, I suspect this is something to do with exercise and not being "skinny-fat" (another delightful term some fitness people use to describe people who lose weight by calorie cutting alone and end up losing fat, but not retaining or gaining muscle). Or perhaps a result of a change in lifestyle regulating my hormone levels differently (fat storage on the hips and thighs is the result of relative levels of sex hormones).

But then I noticed that losing fat off my hip area also meant losing a little higher up, there's a little indent between my hip and my thigh. I  wasn't bothered, it's a sign that I had lost fat, which was part of the plan, and also exaggerated by the definition created by strengthening my hip rotators, particularly my piriformis which I often describe to people as "the muscle that makes the dimple in your butt".

No big deal, I was pretty impressed with myself. Until I saw a fitness vlog on YouTube. I learned from this video that this indentation - a natural result of being lean and having both an illium and a greater trochanter (both large bony protrusions which have a lot of muscles inserting to them, meaning they stick out) - is now called a "hip-dip" and apparently I'm supposed to be worried about having that now.

What gives people? How is anybody supposed to balance their diet and exercise, whilst countering things like hormone balance and anatomical proportions (the taller the difference between trochanter and illium, the more pronounced the indentation) to make sure they neither have "too much" fat, or "too little" curve?

[If you are hoping that perhaps spot hypertrophy to build muscle in the area is your saviour, the answer I fear is no - the helpful vlogger did give some ideas, but mostly I suspect they would serve to increase the muscle definition that emphasises the indentation - take a look at the silhouette of a female body builder, they definitely go in at butt level and out at the thigh, though it can be hard to tell because the hip out, bum out poses camouflage that.]

Regardless, if you are reading this blog to find out how to "fix your flaws", I am afraid you have come to the wrong place. Before you click away though I just need to tell you that your body is amazing, does great things and will do more great things if you treat it with care and compassion. Peace out.

Neither is the point of this post to tell you a story about my thighs, as entertaining as that may be, my point is to add my voice to those who are saying "what are we even doing with making up weird flaws for our bodies and giving them silly names, can we just stop?".

OK, now I'm just hungry....


There's also "love handles" and "muffin tops" and "cankles" and "bingo wings" and "thunder thighs" and "belly pooch".... I could go on but I'm feeling less comfortable in my skin already.

All these terms are part of our normal language, every day. People use them to describe other people, and they use them to describe themselves. It's something I'm very aware of because new personal training clients often use them to me when they are talking about their goals or their relationship with their body. I have become even more aware of them after spending time in communities, like Girls Gone Strong, where these terms aren't used and women are really positive about their bodies. I'm not sure that these women are always actively avoiding the terms either, I think the habit of using them falls out when they are at peace with their "imperfections".

But they are just words.


Yes they are, but words are the first step to tapping into the inner workings of your brain-meats. Just like when we use positive affirmations to improve our performance in life, work or training. Or when I yell "MAXIMUM EFFORT" before going for a big lift.

Using terms that are derogatory and humiliating about our bodies builds shame, and shame doesn't get us anywhere. If we can at least be matter-of-fact when we describe our bodies, then we are starting on the road to healthy acceptance.


I'm all for free speech and straight talking - which is why I object to these terms. A muffin top is fat. It's fat that sits in a particular way because some fashion designer who hasn't seen a woman with more than 18% body fat in 30 years decided that low cut, narrow fit waistlines that only stay up if they are restrictively tight were a good plan.

When we call that a "muffin top" we aren't "saying it how it is", we are dressing it up in cutesy language to try and hide the fact that we are saying "abdominal fat". Because it's rude to say things like "you need to wear a tunic top to hide your abdominal fat", which is a perfectly normal and healthy part of your body. But when you say "muffin top" that is exactly what you mean, you know it, everyone knows it. It's like starting a sentence with "no offence but..." if you don't want to be offensive, don't say the offensive thing!

Your body is normal and OK


Which leads me to the next thing. These are normal features of the body. They are not anomalies or imperfections. "Bingo wings" can be the loose skin that is left after major fat loss - good on you for losing that weight, that's a tough journey. Or it's a sign that your arms have been around for a long time - way to go for rocking your bad self for so long! I also meet a lot of women who claim to have "bingo wings" but actually, that's just your arm dude. Seriously. Even the strongest, leanest, most toned biceps will flap about if you relax them. It's all good.

A language of misogyny


You might also notice that I am talking a lot about women, and there is a reason for that. Almost all of these terms have been coined to describe women's bodies. They are almost exclusively still used for that purpose. I've spent a few days mulling this over, and I can only think of two body parts "nickname" that seems to have originated from men's bodies (that's "beer belly" and "moobs"if you were wondering).

[I will concede that I have heard people refer to men's "muffin tops", but always in the context of deriding their male body further by using "feminine" terminology - "moobs" also does this]

So the issue goes deeper. It's not just about unrealistic expectations for our bodies, it's not just about talking about bodies with respect, it's also about misogyny, and internalised misogyny, where women's bodies in particular are criticised and scorned.

When we devalue our bodies, or constantly apologise for the space we take up, we are failing to claim the respect we deserve as human beings.


The teaching moment


So here's my message for today.

If you use these terms to describe yourself, I would like you to consider changing it up and being straight with yourself. It's fat, or water retention. It's the shape of your legs right now, it might not be your favourite, but it is what it is. Try dropping these terms from your vocab for a couple of weeks and see how much better you feel.

If you use them to describe other people, ask yourself why. There's no competition here, no need to compare your body to anyone else's. If they have fat where you don't, you don't get a prize. Being accepting of other people's bodies also helps you accept your own.

Lastly, if you are a trainer, please, please don't use these terms to your clients, it's just nasty - even when light hearted. Let's not advertise our services as "blast that muffin top today", let's not talk to our clients about "getting rid of your bingo wings". Lets achieve healthy body composition, get stronger, improve muscle definition. We all learned anatomy when we qualified, so let's use it, and lets model straightforward, accepting language for the people we are trying to help.



Making big changes is scary, Lotus Bloom coaching is nutrition and lifestyle coaching for long term, sustainable change.

Or start out with my completely FREE reset, by signing up to my mailing list.

Want training? I provide online and in-person personal training and nutrition coaching. I can provide personalised workout programmes for building fitness, pre or postnatal fitness or just incorporating healthier habits into your life.

Want an awesome shirt? In my Zazzle shop I have a load of body positive shirts and I just introduced this guy, which I'm totally getting for myself....



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Managing Fibromyalgia flares

I've written before about living with EDS and Fibromyalgia ,  much of my personal fitness and health practices are geared around managing those conditions and keeping me as well as I can be. When managing a chronic health condition, particularly one that involves fatigue and potential flare ups, pacing, good nutrition, good sleep and generally taking care of yourself is always the first priority. Ideally we want to have as few flares as possible. But sometimes they still happen, and when they do, it's good to have a strategy in place. And I'm going to be talking in fairly general terms, because while EDS and Fibro are my personal experience, there is so little understanding of the mechanisms behind these conditions, that most strategies are going to be applicable to a number of conditions where crashes of exhaustion and pain are a feature. So what is a flare? A flare is a period where someone with chronic illness suffers increased symptoms for a short while. The

Step away from the scale. Why weigh ins and weight loss don't match.

I have a persistant bugbear when it comes to health coaching, and it's this issue of "weight". People are often talking about "losing weight", the number on the scale becomes a focus. "If only I could just get under 65kg" they say. Or worse I see advertised "buy this supplement and you can lose 20kg in a fortnight". I've found myself frequently sitting with a weight-focussed client and asking "if you were 2 dress sizes smaller, fit and toned, but you weighed the same as you do now, could you be happy with that?" You might be surprised how challenging a question that can be. For many people, particularly those who have struggled with weight loss, that number is the absolute key. They can wake up, feeling energised and full of life, slip into those jeans that used to live hopefully in the bottom of the drawer, check themselves in the mirror and love what they see... then they step on the scales, see the number is half a kilo

Is being polite sabotaging your weight loss?

I've been thinking a lot lately about the barriers that make it hard for people to stick to healthy habits, or even take them up in the first place. My personal training clients are a lovely bunch, and one thing I can certainly say is that none of them have come to me completely uninformed about healthy eating. Most people have done some homework before they get to the point of hiring me, and while I always go over the basics (never assume anything) I know that when I tell them stuff like this, it's not new information to them: Eat less to lose weight Eat protein with every meal Eat 5 portions of fruit and veg a day Consume high sugar and fat treats rarely and in moderate portions Drink water with every meal or snack Exercise regularly That's not rocket science, so why are so many people still struggling with it? Is it because "the rules" are more complicated? Are they missing the "weird trick" (spoiler alert, there are no weird tricks

My top apps for supporting a healthy lifestyle.

The hardest part of making healthy choices and lifestyle changes is making it a habit. It's easy to make a decision to "eat better", "exercise more" or whatever your current plan is. It's a lot harder to stick to it on the rough days, for long enough that it becomes a habit and part of your life that you can't imagine being without. I love a bit of tech. I am a super geeky science nerd and finding ways to use technology to support my health and fitness makes me very happy. So with this in mind I thought I'd give a quick run down of my favourite smartphone apps for developing and maintaining healthy habits. Habitica I'm starting with this one because it's mad and I love it. Habitica is basically a to-do list app, but it's specially for the gamers among us. If you are familiar with Dungeons and Dragons, and all the games that grew out of that system and fantasy world, you will recognise Habitica. The app allows you to create 3 t

What's the deal with yoga and hypermobility?

I wanted to address a question today that keeps coming up on various hypermobility and EDS forums that I frequent. It comes up so often in fact that I feel like I have to write this all up in one place, to save me 1000s of key strokes of individual responses and distil some of my opinions and thought processes on the matter. It always goes like this. Someone asks a question like "I've just been diagnosed with hypermobility, I've been told I can't do yoga anymore..." The responses are always a mixture of "yes, my doctor/physio told me yoga was the worst thing I could do for my hypermobility" and "I do yoga and it's been the best thing for my hypermobility". So what gives? Well, I'm firmly in the "yoga is useful" camp, and I have to disclose that. I'm a yoga practitioner of around 20 years and a perinatal yoga teacher , as well as a personal trainer and bendy person. While I have the deepest respect for the medic