Skip to main content

My weight loss story

So here's a post I've been putting off writing. Most people working in health and wellbeing have a personal story behind it. I've not felt motivated to write about mine, because what I really enjoy writing about is  the things that can help people like you to improve your lives too. But people like to know where their information is coming from, so this post is all about me! In fact it won't just be a post, it will be a series of posts, because when I started writing I realised that the revelations that I have had as a result of my own experience are going to take up a bit more space.


The skinny


Now we are going to get straight to the stuff people ask me about.

18 months ago I weighed in at about 95kg. While my weight had fluctuated throughout my late teens and twenties, 2 difficult pregnancies left me about 15kg above where I started out, which was already a heavy point for me.

1 year ago I hit my first goal weight of 75kg and moved from a weight loss goal to muscle gain/body composition. Since then I've lost a couple more kgs, meaning I've sustainably lost about 25kg. That's also about 5" from my waist and some amount of dress sizes I'm not really sure about but I'd estimate about 3. I'm still working on body composition, my weight is stable but it's shifting into muscle mass as I continue to slowly lose fat.

How? Well, I ate less, and moved more. Sorry, there are still no "weird tricks". 

The motivation

It wasn't that I hated my body, or was disgusted with myself, or even that I was unfit or unhealthy. And I have to point that out, because otherwise it's just awkward when people say things like "Oh you look so good now", because I was rocking it back then too.

I was most definitely not unfit - there's this myth that if someone is overweight they must be inactive - I'm a dancer, and for at least 8 months before I started losing weight, I was dancing and conditioning for 2 hours a day. Then I started switching my pilates based conditioning for HIIT, and I was doing 5 HIIT workouts a week. At 93kg. I am not entirely convinced I could do that now with a 20kg backpack on!

Due to my history of yo-yo dieting, I wanted to be absolutely sure that I was losing weight for the right reasons, so I worked very hard on being OK with my body as it was. I'm lucky in being surrounded by a very body positive dance community, where how you move your body is more highly prized than shape or size, and I've never had a problem with another dancer's weight, so I just had to learn to afford myself the same kindness.

Once I knew that I was no longer judging myself unfairly, or trying to measure up to some unattainable "ideal", I could look objectively at my situation. I still didn't feel "right", I was strong and powerful, but how much more could I utilise that if there was less weight to move? I also didn't really recognise myself in my body, I felt like I was wearing a costume of someone else. When I choreographed it was for the shape I was in my head, and out in the world, the lines were all wrong, because things didn't quite match up. I was at doing fine in my body, but it didn't feel like it fitted me. So I decided to see how being at my pre-baby weight felt.


The success story...


I'm going to show you before and after photos, but with a disclaimer.

I hate before and after photos. I find it really offensive how we are conditioned to look at them, recoil from the horror of what came before and feel hugely relieved that the subject is no longer this terrible monster.

Or maybe that is a bit extreme. Lots of trainers and coaches use before and after photos to keep track of progress, I know from my experience, and reports from others, that many people going through major body changes lose track of themselves, because it is a gradual process and it is hard to see a difference when you see yourself every day. But I always feel a little like publicising these images is somehow disrespectful to the person in the "before" picture, and I don't want to be that way, because she was badass. I also think it's generally dangerous to say mean stuff about how a person used to look.

March 2015 to December 2016

Seriously, I have video footage of that performance and it was a blast.

Losing the weight did feel better, I do feel a lot more like "myself". I feel that the lessons taken from learning to be confident pre-weightloss are invaluable to me, as an individual and now in my role as a personal trainer There's a lot of things I have come to understand about successful weight loss, as well as the importance of all aspects of health in the fitness industry.

UPDATE.

I did a little check in for the sake of seeing where my body composition was going, and also to illustrate why scale weight is not always the best indicator...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Managing Fibromyalgia flares

I've written before about living with EDS and Fibromyalgia ,  much of my personal fitness and health practices are geared around managing those conditions and keeping me as well as I can be. When managing a chronic health condition, particularly one that involves fatigue and potential flare ups, pacing, good nutrition, good sleep and generally taking care of yourself is always the first priority. Ideally we want to have as few flares as possible. But sometimes they still happen, and when they do, it's good to have a strategy in place. And I'm going to be talking in fairly general terms, because while EDS and Fibro are my personal experience, there is so little understanding of the mechanisms behind these conditions, that most strategies are going to be applicable to a number of conditions where crashes of exhaustion and pain are a feature. So what is a flare? A flare is a period where someone with chronic illness suffers increased symptoms for a short while. The

Step away from the scale. Why weigh ins and weight loss don't match.

I have a persistant bugbear when it comes to health coaching, and it's this issue of "weight". People are often talking about "losing weight", the number on the scale becomes a focus. "If only I could just get under 65kg" they say. Or worse I see advertised "buy this supplement and you can lose 20kg in a fortnight". I've found myself frequently sitting with a weight-focussed client and asking "if you were 2 dress sizes smaller, fit and toned, but you weighed the same as you do now, could you be happy with that?" You might be surprised how challenging a question that can be. For many people, particularly those who have struggled with weight loss, that number is the absolute key. They can wake up, feeling energised and full of life, slip into those jeans that used to live hopefully in the bottom of the drawer, check themselves in the mirror and love what they see... then they step on the scales, see the number is half a kilo

Is being polite sabotaging your weight loss?

I've been thinking a lot lately about the barriers that make it hard for people to stick to healthy habits, or even take them up in the first place. My personal training clients are a lovely bunch, and one thing I can certainly say is that none of them have come to me completely uninformed about healthy eating. Most people have done some homework before they get to the point of hiring me, and while I always go over the basics (never assume anything) I know that when I tell them stuff like this, it's not new information to them: Eat less to lose weight Eat protein with every meal Eat 5 portions of fruit and veg a day Consume high sugar and fat treats rarely and in moderate portions Drink water with every meal or snack Exercise regularly That's not rocket science, so why are so many people still struggling with it? Is it because "the rules" are more complicated? Are they missing the "weird trick" (spoiler alert, there are no weird tricks

My top apps for supporting a healthy lifestyle.

The hardest part of making healthy choices and lifestyle changes is making it a habit. It's easy to make a decision to "eat better", "exercise more" or whatever your current plan is. It's a lot harder to stick to it on the rough days, for long enough that it becomes a habit and part of your life that you can't imagine being without. I love a bit of tech. I am a super geeky science nerd and finding ways to use technology to support my health and fitness makes me very happy. So with this in mind I thought I'd give a quick run down of my favourite smartphone apps for developing and maintaining healthy habits. Habitica I'm starting with this one because it's mad and I love it. Habitica is basically a to-do list app, but it's specially for the gamers among us. If you are familiar with Dungeons and Dragons, and all the games that grew out of that system and fantasy world, you will recognise Habitica. The app allows you to create 3 t

What's the deal with yoga and hypermobility?

I wanted to address a question today that keeps coming up on various hypermobility and EDS forums that I frequent. It comes up so often in fact that I feel like I have to write this all up in one place, to save me 1000s of key strokes of individual responses and distil some of my opinions and thought processes on the matter. It always goes like this. Someone asks a question like "I've just been diagnosed with hypermobility, I've been told I can't do yoga anymore..." The responses are always a mixture of "yes, my doctor/physio told me yoga was the worst thing I could do for my hypermobility" and "I do yoga and it's been the best thing for my hypermobility". So what gives? Well, I'm firmly in the "yoga is useful" camp, and I have to disclose that. I'm a yoga practitioner of around 20 years and a perinatal yoga teacher , as well as a personal trainer and bendy person. While I have the deepest respect for the medic